Friday, January 24, 2014

Fat Free Vegan Hummus in the NutriBullet

My first non-blender recipe released on this site. When I make hummus, I like to keep it pretty simple. However, the most important thing when it comes to hummus is keeping it fat free. Especially when it comes to olive oil, there is absolutely no point to adding it to a hummus. The olive oil is simply empty calories. I choose to not add tahini when making hummus because tahini too is just extra calories and not completely needed when making hummus. Many may think tahini is needed to get the hummus creamy, but I have found that pressure cooking your own chick peas makes the chick peas incredibly soft. Check out my review on the Instant Pot in order to find out about my favorite pressure cooker.

You will need:
  •  2 cups of pressure cooked Chickpeas, or 1 can of Chickpeas,
  •  1 Clove of Garlic (Cook it with chickpeas, or use prechopped from the store),
  • Juice of 1 Lemon,
  • Water till the 1/3rd mark of the NutriBullet,
  • (Optional) I like roasted red peppers mixed in as well, but a spicy chile powder works well too.
Blend until smooth and no chickpea chunks are left. If your blender starts stalling due to the mixture being too thick, add small amounts of water and keep blending. You will know when the hummus is just the right consistency once it turns that rich yellowish creamy color.

Feel free to taste throughout blending process to tweak recipe to your own tastes.

Once satisfied with the favor and consistency, throw the hummus into the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour to chill the hummus down and let the flavors fully mix. Enjoy with your favorite snacks. My personal go to's are baby carrots, bell pepper slices, and corn tortillas for mini-wraps.

The NutriBullet is great for making hummus as it is quick and easy to blend when using this device. Cleanup is so simple too with the NutriBullet. I hate having to scoop out hummus with my hand basically when using a Vitamix to make hummus or any kind of bean dip. With the NutiBullet blender I can easily get all of the dish out without having to worry about a huge haste come cleanup time.

By Mat McNeile

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Mat (owner of VeganKitchenAppliances.com) reviews all comments to prevent spam. Check back in a day or two if you posted a question.