Sunday, January 19, 2014

The Spicy Ginger NutriBullet Smoothie



Man, I see people all the time talking about making ginger smoothies. I do not know about you, but I always like drinking creamy sweet smoothies, no matter if they are green smoothies. Occasionally I will want to add ginger to my smoothies because ginger is an amazing healing herb. However, when some recipes just say "throw in some ginger" I begin to question the recipe. After enough experiences of adding too much ginger to a smoothie and ending up with a spicy iced drink, I needed to perfect the recipe.

Spicy Ginger NutriBullet Smoothie
  • 1 Banana unfrozen, and 1 frozen Banana
  • Handful of Strawberries. Do not worry about the proportions here.
  • Shaved ginger. Use a cheese grater if you have one and are confident with using it. I never grew up using one, and somewhat fear the possibility of hurting myself on a traditional metal one. Instead, I use the OXO Good Grips Grater so that I can grate the ginger directly over the blender. A handheld zester works well to with ginger, it will be more work though.
    • When it comes to the amount of shaved ginger, I like it to be very conservative. Some people really enjoy spicy smoothies, I am not one of those people. Ginger is an ingredient used in a wide variety of my cooking, so I find even minimal additions to it spread across multiple uses a day yields great results. With t hat in mind, I would recommend maybe 5-10 full shredding motions with the ginger.
  • Milled Flax Seed. The presence of fat will help to calm down any spice, along with making the smoothie healthier for you to consume due to Flax Seeds being a great source of Omega-3 Fatty Oils. Milled Flax seeds are nearly identical to the health benefit found in Chia Seeds, but they cost only a fraction of the price at Amazon: Hodgson Mill Milled Flax Seed, 12-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 8).
  • Water to the 1/3rd mark of the NutriBullet blender container.
  • Ice Cubes. About 4 or 5 ice cubes will do the trick.
  • (Optional): I like adding Vitamineral Earth to these smoothies. Vitamineral Earth has a spicy flavor to it as well. I see no reason to not add a health boost to any smoothie I drink. Read my review of Vitamineral Earth.
BLEND For 15-30 Seconds

ENJOY

Interested in the NutriBullet. Check out my review of the latest model: NutriBullet Pro 900 S.

By Mat McNeile

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Mat (owner of VeganKitchenAppliances.com) reviews all comments to prevent spam. Check back in a day or two if you posted a question.